SAN BENITO — A man was arrested on five assault charges, according to a criminal complaint.
The Cameron County Sheriff’s Department on Sept. 23 arrested Jose Neftali Mendez, Jr. on warrants issued when he failed to appear in court on the charges, authorities said.
According to the complaint Mendez is accused of causing bodily harm to five persons by grabbing, pulling or scratching. One assault occurred on Sept. 30, 2011, and four on or about Oct. 6, 2011, authorities said.
Mendez is being held without bond at the county jail.
The San Benito school district on Wednesday issued a statement that a teacher was suspended with pay pending the outcome of an investigation, which is currently being conducted by the school district police.
The school district did not identify the teacher nor the school.
The statement, issued by school district spokeswoman Celia Longoria, said that the school district police learned that a teacher had outstanding warrants, and notified the sheriff’s department.
“School officials consider this a personnel-related matter,” Longoria said, “and in the interest of safeguarding the ongoing investigation, district officials are unable to provide any further details at this time.”
HARLINGEN — A San Benito man was arrested after he made unauthorized charges to a women’s bank account, according to a police press release.
The woman said that between Jan. 2 and July 29, someone charged $4,218.20 to her bank account without her permission. The women provided bank statements from those months that show a series of automatic monthly payments for a COMCAST account for a man identified as Jorge Leal, 45, according to the release.
A warrant was issued for his arrest, and Leal turned himself in on Sept. 25, police said.
Leal was arraigned on a state jail felony charges of theft with bond set at $15,000 and forgery with bond set at $10,000.
HARLINGEN — A Harlingen teen was arrested after a school security officer found him with drugs at school, according to a police press release.
A police officer on duty at 10:06 a.m. on Sept. 25 was notified by a security guard that a student identified as Michael Paul Martinez, 17, was seen tossing a white piece of paper on the desk behind him, the release said. The security guard recovered the piece of paper and found it contained half a white pill of the prescription drug Xanax, according to the release.
Martinez was arrested on a state felony charge of possession of a controlled substance in a drug-free zone, with bond set at $5,000, police said.
DRUG POSSESSION and TRAFFIC VIOLATION
HARLINGEN — A La Feria teenager was arrested after he was stopped for driving a car with an expired registration, according to a police press release.
An officer on patrol on Sept. 25 at 12:54 p.m. stopped an orange Chevrolet Cavalier in the area of Haverford Street and Dixieland Road, police said. When the officer approached the car he smelled the strong odor of marijuana coming from inside it, the release said. The driver, identified as Rudy Ramon, 17, admitted he put a plastic bag of marijuana in the passenger’s purse, the release said.
Ramon’s arraignment is pending on a Class A misdemeanor charge of possession of marijuana in a drug-free zone, and a Class C misdemeanor traffic violation, police said.
- Alfredo Esparza was arrested Sept. 25 on execution of a warrant for burglary of a habitation and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, police said. He was held at the Willacy County jail.
- Alejandro Leija was arrested on Sept. 25 on execution of warrants for consumption of alcohol by a minor, no valid driver’s license, failure to signal a turn, and two counts of failure to appear in court, police said. He was held at the Willacy County jail.
- Miguel Fuentes, was arrested Sept. 25 on execution of warrants for driving an uninsured vehicle and failure to stop at a stop sign, police said. He was cited and released.
- Henry Gonzales, was arrested Sept. 25 on execution of a warrant for aggravated sexual assault, police said. He was held at the Willacy County jail.
- Erio “Killer” Gill, was arrested Sept. 26 on a charge of theft of less than $50, police said. He was cited and released.
- Janial Sauceda, was arrested Sept. 26 on a charge of driving while intoxicated, police said. He was held at the Willacy County jail.
- Jake Tagle, was arrested Sept. 23 on a charge of driving while intoxicated, police said. He was held at the Willacy County jail.