URGENT: Recovered list of all reader comments on Valley Baptist story - Valley Morning Star : Local News

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

URGENT: Recovered list of all reader comments on Valley Baptist story

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:00 am

EDITOR’S NOTE: Thursday morning it came to the attention of the Valley Morning Star’s editors that two or more unknown computer users in the community were intentionally deleting readers’ comments about a story, ‘ER doctors quit Valley Baptist,’ that was posted to valleystar.com Monday night and published on Page 1 of Tuesday’s Star.

The deletions appeared to target readers’ comments critical of Valley Baptist Medical Center’s management.

The Star is taking to steps to thwart this intrusion, which took advantage of an interactive tool intended for nothing more than allowing readers to delete inappropriate comments containing profanity or other serious breaches of Internet etiquette.

The following is a complete list of reader comments, deleted and otherwise, that originally followed the story ‘ER doctors quit Valley Baptist’. This list was taken directly from the Star’s Web site administrative tool at 11 a.m. Thursday, even as the outside attempts at deleting comments continued.

To determine which of these comments had been deleted and which were left up, look at the number to the right of the date and time that each comment was originally posted. All those comments with a 2 or more were deleted; all those with a 0 or 1 remained posted.

_________

Local Business Man Sep. 20, 2007 08:56:30 AM 0

Few people will ever experience the immense level of responsilibity that the top administrators at VBHS carry on their shoulders. When it comes down to it, these are real people who are trying to make the best decisions for a huge organization and the surrounding community. Harlingen citizens should try to keep all this in perspective.

concerned citizen Sep. 20, 2007 08:37:11 AM 0

IT'S NOT ONLY ER THAT HAS PROBLEM. NBICU ARE LIMITING THE NUMBER OF THEIR PATIENTS DUE TO LACK OF NURSES. SEVERAL NURSES RESIGNED BECAUSE OF OVERWHELMING PATIENT LOAD. BABIES ARE TRANSFERRED OUT TO OTHER HOSPITALS BECAUSE OF THIS. MOTHERS WHO JUST GAVE BIRTH TO A SICK BABIES NEED TO TRAVEL TO OTHER CITIES TO BE WITH THEIR BABIES. IF SUCH IS THE CASE, CAN WE MAKE USE OF MR. SPRINGFIELD'S JET OR YACHT AS TRANSPORT.

watching Sep. 20, 2007 08:22:00 AM 0

If you want to protest do so without compromising patient care. That is the reason for the protest after all. Have family and friends at a designated spot all day, but employees should plan to assemble over the scheduled lunch breaks with brown bags lunches and join the protest without abandoning your patients. It will give the press a designated time to see the employees speak out for patient care.

mad Sep. 20, 2007 08:12:07 AM 0

YES! Plan a protest on October 1st. Get the whole city of Harlingen to walk, make the national news. Get Jim sweating under his collar. Something HAS to be done or we won't have a hospital left to go to. and STOP deleting posts!

Jimbo Sep. 20, 2007 08:09:55 AM 2

"feed the pigs slaughter the hogs" Jim "I'm Not Your Daddy" Springfield it's time to go

Jimbo Sep. 20, 2007 08:08:08 AM 2

"feed the pigs, slaughter the hogs" Jim "I'm not your daddy" it's time to go

catalyst Sep. 20, 2007 07:45:28 AM 2

October 1st. Spread the word.

vbhs Sep. 20, 2007 07:39:30 AM 0

The brownsville herald remains untapped and untouched. Comment there and Involve them on October 1. Lets protest as a health system.

In need of doctors Sep. 20, 2007 07:35:01 AM 0

Move on Jim Springfield. I need the physicians here NOT you. In order for my parents,children,grandchildren to survive we need Doctors not million dolar CEO's.

Valley Baptist Sep. 20, 2007 07:30:13 AM 1

I suggest October 1 as the day of protest. Don't go to work. Protest in front of the hospital. Involve the Media. Petition the CEO out. All employees walk out. Let's make him leave and get out point across.

VMS Sep. 20, 2007 07:13:32 AM 2

Bet you money they get this forum shutdown by the end of the day.

Citizen of Harlingen Sep. 20, 2007 07:11:16 AM 1

Mr. Springfield, deleting all the really damaging comments from this site is not going to help you this time. They have been read by many. The cat is out of the bag. You have been very clever in surrounding yourself with old Harlingen money, as trustee members, but Bert Wolf, Bill Elliff, the Dunkins, the Boggus's and Bobby Farris,to name a few, are going to have to fire you in order to save their own businesses and reputations. Valley Baptist Hospital must be redeemed.

badboys Sep. 20, 2007 07:07:19 AM 2

Six sigma itself is not the problem per se. The problem is that it has become a tool of intimidation and tyranny by Springfield and his VP staff. They have ruined careers and the lives of many people.

VPS Sep. 20, 2007 07:05:42 AM 1

What exactly is the need to have a psychiatrist as an administrator? He does not represent the views of the physicians. We need psychiatrists practicing medicine not serving as VPs.

Humbug Sep. 20, 2007 07:02:40 AM 1

Truth hurts. That's why things are getting deleted. Here I go again. Jimmy thinks hes above the law. With his big contributions to Governor Perry and having Karl Rove over to his house, he is thumbing his nose at us peons daring us to do something about him and his cronies. Ken Lay had the same friends Jimmy and in the end his greed and ego were his down fall.

Anonymous Sep. 20, 2007 05:54:04 AM 2

My comments have been deleted. Jim Springfield, or his followers, probably did this. Please know that I have other sources in which to protest the Springfield administration. I plan to vigorously follow them. Go ahead and delete this message. It will still get out to the public through another medium. Go away Springfield and all of the VPs at Valley Baptist!

never again Sep. 20, 2007 05:47:28 AM 2

It is really sad that a giant institution like VBMC has gone down. Up until 3 maybe 4 years ago VBMC was a prime hospital with an excellent, extraordinary staff. Now it's staffed mainly by recruited Phillipine nurses that can barely speak English much less administer less than adequate medical attention. They are rude and don't seem to care for the patients well being. VBMC recruits these nurses to save a buck, much to the demise of our local nurses. HMC has indeed much better care and staff!

sick of Springfield Sep. 20, 2007 05:41:04 AM 2

James Springfield has been hated in Houston and now here. ON MR. SPRINGFIELD'S DEFENSE - Heaven doesn't want him and Hell is afraid he will take over!

concerned Sep. 20, 2007 05:37:19 AM 1

When comments are removed that person is silenced. That is sad. The people removing these comments are probably those working and protecting James Springfield.

Concerned Sep. 20, 2007 05:28:38 AM 1

In response to "Get The Word Out", I don't believe appealing to the VB Board of Directors will work. Remember, the Chairman of the Board and his son personally profit from the current situation at VB, since Valley Baptist allows First Community Bank to have a branch onsite here in Harlingen and the Chairman is also President of First Community Bank. In addition, I don't think local media will investigate this story much more deeply because VB sends too much advertising revenue their way. I know I sound cynical, but I think the only way to get journalists to launch an investigation is to appeal to a news organization outside of the Valley where VB has no monetary influence and Administration has no political connections.

eyes and ears Sep. 20, 2007 05:22:21 AM 1

My eyes have been opened. Those of you that had blogs deleted, repost. I will later. Send emails to KRGV and KGBT also. Not everyone close to the top is following blindly. If the board starts to take action, we will sing like a bird. Would love to be a fly on the wall in some offices today. Wonder what the atmosphere at the hospital will be like today. Very interesting

Casual reader Sep. 20, 2007 05:12:37 AM 0

After reading how so many comments have been deleted, it makes me wonder how the webmaster of this web site could be so stupid to even allow for the removal of comments to begin with. Given how scathing the comments have been, I'm surprised they haven't all been deleted. I guess this one will be deleted too. signed, Amazed by stupidity

Nobody Sep. 20, 2007 03:50:08 AM 0

It would be hard not to see what goes on at Valley Baptist. I believe the board of directors should pay a closer attention to the events taking place at VB. According to Mr. Springfield it is important who is on the VB bus. I agree, but in my opinion, it is most important who is driving the bus.

JD Sep. 20, 2007 01:01:11 AM 2

Administration start walking on your own two feet and not behind Jim's skirt.

A concerned spouse Sep. 20, 2007 12:51:33 AM 0

Thanks Jim Springfield for outsourcing my wife's job now our medical benefits have changed for the worst! You sir continue to live in your large home comfortably with your million dollar income and your lackeys by your side pretending to care about your every word. It is about time you resign and relocate your white picket fence elsewhere--I want physicians who take care of my family to keep their best interest at heart NOT YOURS.

Priorities Sep. 20, 2007 12:31:30 AM 0

Administration recently reported that the "Quality of care" at Valley Baptist did not come from its employees, but from the Board. They are responsible for the �Quality of care� because they hire the doctors who work at Valley Baptist. It is a shame that the "TEAM" responsible for caring for our loved ones do not get the respect or recognition that they deserve. I have never seen Board members or Administration change soiled linens or walk the floors to deliver medications or answer call lights. Get your priorities straight and back to the true essence of Health Care, and that is caring for the well being of our loved ones without looking at the profit margins. To the ER physicians, Good luck and it has been a pleasure working with all of you!

Good Luck Sep. 20, 2007 12:22:47 AM 3

Good Luck Physicians

get the word out Sep. 19, 2007 09:44:38 PM 0

To those who are willing to contact hospital board members, hopefully in writing, with specific accounts of how you have seen VBMC change in the past several years, please do so. Remember that board members often hear only what is pre-approved by Mr. Springfield. A groundswell of information by those working in the hospital daily could help them to see the damage that is being done to morale, patient care, etc. This information needs to be heard somewhere else other than just on this blog. Thanks. VBMC main address is 2101 Pease St, Harlingen

MOVE ON JIM! Sep. 19, 2007 09:19:00 PM 0

Thanks to Jim, VBMC has two black eyes. Enough is enough. Jim, it is time for you to move on, you will make a great addition to the senate!

valley baptist doc Sep. 19, 2007 09:11:50 PM 0

Since my comment from last night was deleted, I'll repost it and forward copies to the news stations. As a physician at VBMC for over a decade, my heart has been torn many times as I've watched wonderful talented individuals in all levels of administration and nursing be dismissed suddenly, at times under false accusation, or even sometimes being made to feel like a criminal. I have heard multiple individual stories of similar treatment. These bright people were often at the peak of their career, having given years or even decades of service to this community. Some have moved out of state or out of town, others have even changed career fields, a great loss to our medical community. I moved to Harlingen from the East Coast, inspired by the previous administration's commitment to PATIENT CARE and EMPLOYEE LOYALTY. Unfortunately, in the past several years since the Springfield administration has taken over, these values are largely gone. Caring for patients and each other has been replaced by a culture of fear, fear to speak out, fear that your job could be the next one outsourced or eliminated. It is my prayer that those in the community, especially the hospital board, that have been here long before Mr. Springfield came, and will remain long after he is gone, will have the COURAGE to take the necessary action to protect our medical community.

I LOVE VBMC Sep. 19, 2007 08:59:26 PM 0

I love working with the people in my department and across the hospital. All of us are here for the patients! Jim and his followers will be long gone and will be the ones that will have to restore what he has destroyed in such a short period of time. God Bless the people who are still here caring for this community!

F. Perez Sep. 19, 2007 08:58:21 PM 0

This is the very reason I moved out of Harlingen. I feel the hospital not only has an influence within its doors but through out the community. Harlingen needs to change it's ways before they become a ghost town everyone is going to move to better places in the Valley or do as I did and moved up state.

news Sep. 19, 2007 08:53:24 PM 0

I have was able to save most of the comments and will send them to the news stations.

concerned employee Sep. 19, 2007 08:53:15 PM 0

The community and staff at VBMC should start a petition to keep our wonderful ER physicians.

HELP Sep. 19, 2007 08:53:03 PM 2

Yes it is sad that our ER physicians are resigning, but there are always two sides to each story. I heard the ER physicians were offered a pretty descent package but came back to the table wanting more which made them too expensive. And yes, Springfield a money hungry CEO, but then again what CEO isn't. I feel the community needs to focus more on the well being of our nurses. Our nurses are severely over worked and ridiculously under paid. If it wasn't for our nurses, none of our doctors would have anyone to follow through with their prescribed care. Phycisians always come and go and have the money to do so. Nurses on the other hand, have to tough it out no matter where they are employed. As far as SICK Sigma goes, there are some initiatives that have improved patient care. But, SICK sigma is also the reason that most of our experienced nurses are leaving or thinking about leaving. Six Sigma always says "that stats do not lie," but the people inputing the stats do for their benefit, making it a joke. Lets restore the positive image that VBMC once had and BAN the evil religion called Six Sigma.

employee Sep. 19, 2007 08:45:21 PM 1

Send emails to the news stations. Lets get this on the news. They should report on it From Jenny Martinez Jenny KRGV COM Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert To You are absolutely right. It does bear looking into. Seems like there's a lot to look at. I ll work on finding that channel 5 guy who gets things done to look at it. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Jenny Martinez News Director

Remember Sep. 19, 2007 08:40:33 PM 0

Oh what a tangled web we weave first we practice to decieve. Well the web is coming unwoven. By deleting comments you have angered those that posted them. I am sure they will be very vocal in the community. Remember what Japan said after they attacked Pearl Harbor. I am afraid we have awoken a sleeping giant. Well the people are the giant and they are awaking.

corporate life Sep. 19, 2007 08:40:00 PM 0

Don't act hastily! Remember your commitment to the community as a medical professional. A walk out would only hurt the patients, not Springfield. Don't be rash and act out of anger. Patience and Prayer

so you know Sep. 19, 2007 08:37:23 PM 0

here is the email address for the director of the on-line dept at valley morning star. clintb at valleystar dot com.

Justice Sep. 19, 2007 08:37:05 PM 0

It is definitely apparent by all of these comments that many people have been hurt by the way that administration has acted at Valley Baptist, but we need to remember that we will ALL answer to God for all of the bad deeds that we have committed. Therefore, let it be and be patient that justice is coming soon.

fed up with Springfield Sep. 19, 2007 08:36:13 PM 2

We as VBMC employees should go on strike and see how Springfield does without us! I am fowarding my comment to the news stations, send yours too.

LOST Sep. 19, 2007 08:35:56 PM 2

FRG is Financial Resources Group a firm that Valley Baptist brought in to take over the Finance division over two years ago. The firm gets paid big time to do what the top finance executive should be doing.

NewIdea Sep. 19, 2007 08:34:05 PM 0

We all should unite as VBHS employees and declare a day to walkout and then make our demands known to the administration.

censored no more Sep. 19, 2007 08:29:37 PM 0

Maybe Springfield now has Valley Freedom Newspapers in his pocket now also . Money talks. I thought this was America not IraQ , what happen to all the comments , there were 4-5 pages earlier today. tomorrow all the employees at VBMC will be blocked from this sight.

persistent Sep. 19, 2007 08:29:30 PM 0

I hope the Valley Morning Star has all of the comments archived. I am sure the television stations will be interested in all of them, not just the ones someone wants us to see.

employee Sep. 19, 2007 08:28:40 PM 0

Since someone has been deleting the comments I have emailed the new stations kgbt4 and krgv5. I would like everyone to do the same and maybe they will do a detailed investigate. I seems someone is trying to stop the community from speaking.

fustrated and angery Sep. 19, 2007 08:24:44 PM 0

It is a shame that hard working employees are getting fired or laid off to save money for I don't know what? I am sure Springfield has everybody afraid of loosing there jobs because he mentioned in one of his first meeting if you do not like the way things are being runned then there is the door. Treating everybody like teenage children. Why doesn't he get out if he does not like what everybody is saying about him now? He does not know how many lives he destroyed for his greed for money. Remember greed is one Gods deadly sins.

Help Sep. 19, 2007 08:24:34 PM 0

Somebody call the television stations about the attempts to silence us and the underhanded activities of VBMC administration

confused Sep. 19, 2007 08:22:31 PM 0

The more comments get deleted, the more confusing things get. New posts often refer to previous posts which have been deleted within a couple of minutes! Knock it off!

why Sep. 19, 2007 08:21:58 PM 0

Leave the comments alone. Everyone has a right to be heard. Removing them only validates they are true and someone is afraid of the truth.

action 4 news Sep. 19, 2007 08:21:58 PM 0

everyone send their comments to the news.

corporate life Sep. 19, 2007 08:21:43 PM 0

funny, I was thinking the same thing. My comments were listed for maybe 5 minutes and now it's gone? Wow! Is this what they call censorship?

fishy Sep. 19, 2007 08:18:55 PM 1

THE FIX IS IN. Where is the Board when we need them. Does Springfield control the Board by giving them jobs within the system?

employee Sep. 19, 2007 08:16:05 PM 2

It looks like someone wants to stop the community from speakout about Valley Baptist issues. Why are messages getting deleted? there was more page and now its three. I would not put it past Springfield to hire someone to just delete the messages.

Boots2 Sep. 19, 2007 08:11:13 PM 2

What happened to comment about, administration shaking in their boots by author Prays The Lord? Did the the little devil delete it?

confused Sep. 19, 2007 08:10:39 PM 2

So many comments are being deleted, it is hard to follow the conversation because new comments being made are often referring to old posts which have subsequently been deleted. What's up?

corporate life Sep. 19, 2007 08:09:47 PM 2

As I've read all the comments for the past few days, from current and past employees and concerned citizens, this brings to mind of what is happening in corporate life today. The bigger you are, the higher the stakes, therefore, more production with reduced cost makes the bottom line. Ahh, the bottom line. Most people don't understand that term, but it's there and without it how can a company continue to be in business? I know I didn't like to hear that either. I am not a champion of VBHS, I have my own ill feelings towards the Health Plan System, and have never met Mr. Springfield. I am sure that when the Board hired him, they knew exactly where they wanted to go and needed to find someone to put at the helm to take the heat when it hit the fan. If you were to take a census from employees who work in corporate America, you would hear the same stories. Corporate America doesn't CARE! The difference of course, is that VBHS is local and it hurts when it's in your back yard. One of my previous employers, Dial Dunkin, once hired people from Houston to come in and do the same thing. Well as those of you who know Mr. Dunkin, he didn't like what his bank was becoming with their changes, so he fired them all and sent them packing back to Houston. Some of you may be surprised by that, I know, but he did have a place in his heart for the community. That's what being homegrown and committed is. That is what's lacking in corporate America, commitment to the community. Is the Board ready to take this once outstanding organization back and send those Houstonians back to where they came from? Only time will tell. I applaud all of you employed with VBHS for the commitment you have shown so far, please don't give up on your community because we need you. Patience and Prayer.

concerned Sep. 19, 2007 08:09:19 PM 1

I want to know why comments by employees and former employees keep getting removed. Are we afraid of the truth being told?

to-one who cares Sep. 19, 2007 08:06:38 PM 1

to One who cares- I understand where you are coming from. But as an educator you must have a set lesson plans you teach. our patients come to us in a complex state and have multiple thing wrong. we need to keep well trained staff for those crisis moments. we should hold Springfield accountable for what he has done!

Praise the Lord Sep. 19, 2007 07:59:05 PM 2

I have prayed for this day to come. Judgement day is here and those in upper administration should be shaking in their boots. I hope the television stations pick this up. Someone email all of the comments to them please

Enough Sep. 19, 2007 07:54:34 PM 1

Lost - I also challange our community to work hard towards keeping our ER physican.

Former Hostage RN BSN Sep. 19, 2007 07:54:05 PM 2

To One who cares. Accountability is not the issue. In fact, the ER doctors and the staff are trying to be accountable to the people they care for. Part of the problem was that they wanted to shorten the ER turn around time and if the ER doctors could not meet their time frames they would be monitarily penalized. You cannot put a time frame on competent patient care especially when there is not enough staff to get lab results, x rays, medications completed quickly. It was setting them up for failure. People are not numbers and statistics. They deserve to be treated better.

LOST Sep. 19, 2007 07:53:35 PM 2

FRG equals Financial Resource Group. They are the idiots in charge of Accounting, Material Mgmt, etc. They can be commended for the nice friendly,being sarcastic, staff!

question for LOST Sep. 19, 2007 07:50:37 PM 2

Hi LOST-what is FRG-sorry I do not know.

LOST Sep. 19, 2007 07:50:06 PM 2

If comments keep getting deleted, then maybe we should take this to the Listen Line on the Channel 4 website!

LOST Sep. 19, 2007 07:47:04 PM 2

I think FRG is the puppet master to Jimbos strings! There is a lot more there than anyone leads on to.

Former Hostage RN BSN Sep. 19, 2007 07:45:37 PM 2

Keep the comments coming and repost. Let the voice of the little people be heard. See my other posting please. Mr. Springfield receives in excess of 1 million dollars as a bonus. This is a reward for budget cuts. Maybe that money should be dispersed to the staff that cares for patients which bring in the money. The little people keep that place afloat not Springfield. Employees are also disgruntled about yearly evaluations. Managers are forced to rank their employees. They have no choice but to choose some employees for a zero ranking. According to criteria for a zero they are a substandard employee. When asking why this occurs employees are told that they said in a previous State of the Hospital Meeting that not all employees perform at the same level. I agree, not all perform at the same level but it does not mean they perform at a substandard level. Good employees are being ranked substandard out of requirement not performance. This process in itself is a joke. To get around the process managers are rotating who receives a zero. Wake up. Someone in a previous posting mentioned the corporate jet. I heard a close relative uses it for personal shopping trips to Houston at times. To the media, dig deeper. Please do not let this issue die! This is only the tip of the iceberg. The upper administration needs to realize nurses are a commodity in high demand. You should try to retain the good ones instead of brow beating them for not performing in substandard conditions. To the Board of Directors of Valley Baptist Health Systems I implore you to talk to the little people in the community and the bottom tier staff and nurses in the hospital. Please do not believe the skewed manipulated statistics you are being presented by a narcissistic dictator. Stop the insanity and release the hostages.

Not Surprised! Sep. 19, 2007 07:45:04 PM 2

Why are the people's comments being removed? What happened to Freedom of Speech! Is there another place to post these comments, where they don't mysteriously disappear?

LOST Sep. 19, 2007 07:43:58 PM 1

I can post all night! Geek squad better buy some cups of Joe. Do not worry, Jim will pay with his PCard!

LOST Sep. 19, 2007 07:40:23 PM 2

Enough I applaud your perstance and encouage you to keep posting! I also had a great experience in the ER with the docs. So sad to see them go. You are so right about the campagin being a joke! Notice there are no real people represented in any of those campaigns. Well, Jim, your staff will not be casted in your world of film. Mr. McKibbens we wish you could come back!

Guess whos working late? Sep. 19, 2007 07:39:37 PM 2

I bet he has the computer guys working late tonight. Delete. Delete.

boots Sep. 19, 2007 07:38:50 PM 2

I have waited a couple of years to finally see this day come. When a community finally starts to speak up about what they think about Springfield and what he has done to not only VBMC, but this town well it just makes me want to sit back and watch all of the behind the scene stuff start to surface. For example the trips to Cabo where the men would go first before they took the wives and the ski trips where the men go first and then the families can join them. The Spring Break festivities on South Padre, sucking down some suds with all those pretty girls. The sad thing is that some of the Board members have full knowledge of what has been going on, but have not said a word about it. Could it be that Jim Springfield has no one to answer to? Is it possible that he can not be touched? A little birdie told me that that is exactly what he believes. I think the Board should be fully investigated along with him and Harlingen should decide what is best for our town!

One who cares Sep. 19, 2007 07:38:07 PM 2

Why has accountability raised such an uproar with SOME in the medical profession in the lower Rio Grande Valley? Remember, accountability is what Texas teachers are all about. They are held accountable by their employers and the State of Texas. Educators are accustomed to having men and women in suits visiting their classrooms and assessing their performance using a performance measurement instrument. Educators are aware of the data gathering by these individuals. What makes other professions think that they should not be held accountable? Remember, educators work with student minds. Those claiming the medical profession also work with humans and should not be afraid to be held accountable.

Former Hostage RN BSN Sep. 19, 2007 07:36:50 PM 2

Gee I wonder who keeps deleting comments. Are you afraid for the truth to come out. Here is my postings again. It is well known you do not disagree with James Springfield. Ask the former CEO of Valley Baptist Brownsville. She spoke up for nurses and was gone within 2 weeks. One board member said he does not like to challenge him because he yells at them. You are his boss he is not yours. There is major discontent among all of the staff except those in Springfields elite circle that have sold their souls to the almighty dollar. Where is your conscience regarding respect and dignity for your fellow man? I do not know where he received his leadership training but where I received mine taught employees are happier and more productive when they feel they are valued and are actively engaged in decision making and policy development affecting their workplace. Instilling fear and threatening does not work. Nurses go home crying because they do noe have materials needed to care for patients and they have so many patients to care for they cannot care for patients appropriately. Several years ago, an efficiency team was paid about two and one half million dollars to watch nurses as they cared for patients. Monitors sat outside patients rooms and timed how long staff was in the room. One result of the study stated nurses wasted time in patients rooms. Many were told they stayed in the room too long. I am sorry but patients must be cared for mind body and spirit. Patients have needs and fears that need to be expressed. No wonder the reputation of the hospital has taken a nosedive since hiring James Springfield. Six Sigma is a joke. It was designed to determine factors that can be streamlined and made more efficient in a controlled environment such as manufacturing. Health care and patients are not products that can be controlled and they are not predictable.

LOST Sep. 19, 2007 07:33:15 PM 2

Well it happened again! I guess the key word to having your blog removed is FRG! That is enough guilt for me to know Springfield is guilty!

emp. Sep. 19, 2007 07:26:09 PM 2

Having worked for more than 2 decades at VBMC, have seen a lot of changes for the welfare of the community, but I must tell you. I Respect, honor, and salute, having worked under the administration Mr. Ben McKibbens, previous administrator. Patient Care was a must, and it was. VBMC was the place to work for. Because we believed in our VBMC Mission to provide care for those in need with the help of GOD and those involved in patient care. james springfield is not the only one to blame but those that follow such as director, mannagers label BLACK,GFREEN belts who participate in SIX SIGMA. All they do is chopp off the little people to keep their high salary jobs. Again my sincere RESPECT to Mr. Ben McKibbens.,previous administrator. Its all about our Mission, and Ethics.

Enough Sep. 19, 2007 07:17:40 PM 2

Lost - My comment was also removed. I feel so stong about this subject because it has affected my family, my friend, and co-workers in many ways. I am posting it again. Olivia � it is obvious that you do not work at VBHS. I challenge you to join our team and see how long you can put up with Six Sigma initiatives that do more damage than good. Our ER physicians are some of the finest in our community. I thank them a million times over for the care and compassion they have expressed every time my family has had to visit the ER. You my dear are the idiot. Unbelievable � You too must not work at VBHS. I have the privilege of working with some of the best and hardest working individuals in our community. We are all very grateful to have a job and most of us contribute to the VBHS Foundation. Guess where the money VBHS extends to the community comes from� VBHS Foundation. To Administration - The conditions we are working under are unbearable. The �Believe in a better life� campaign is a joke. Most of us are on antidepressants, high blood pressure medication, and sleep aids so we can cope. My challenge to you is to improve our working conditions.

LOST Sep. 19, 2007 07:09:02 PM 2

I guess someone did not like my comments about the management style of FRG and the spoofs they have working in Accounting and took my posting off. Everyone is right. Springfield is to blame for the idots he hired.

EMPLOYEE OF 8 YRS. Sep. 19, 2007 06:55:16 PM 2

I HAVE SEEN THE STATE OF VALLEY BAPTIST BEFORE JAMES SPRINGFIELD, WHICK WAS A GREAT WORK ENVIRONMENT FOR OVERALL PATIENT CARE THAT WAS BOTH HEALTH AND PATIENT PRIVACY. I HAVE SEEN THE STATE OF VALLEY BAPTIST AFTER JAMES SPRINGFIELD WAS HIRED. I CAN TELL YOU THAT 90 PERCENT OF THE COMMENT IN THIS ARTICLE IN ACCURATE TO MY KNOWLEDGE. I remember one of James Springfield's statements to his employees in one of his state of the Hospital meetings. THE STATE WAS THAT NO VALLEY BAPTIST HEALTH SYSTEM EMPLOYEE SHOULD THINK THEY ARE GOING TO RETIRE FROM VALLEY BAPTIST. HE SAID THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN. HE DID NOT WANT ANYONE IN THE HOSPITAL TO BE COMFORTIBLE WORKING AT VALELY BAPTIST HEALTH SYSTEM. James Springfield is staying true to his words by firing and outsourcing loyal employee's FROM THE VALLEY jobs. He has outsourcing Pharmacy, Housekeeping, Food service TWICE, engineering TWICE, construction TWICE, Rehab services, security officers TWICE, dietitians, material management, and is about to outsource the Information Service department in one or two months. That department handles the security of the patients that are helped at Valley Baptist Harlingen and Brownsville. I have worked closely with the Information Services department before and they are extremely short staffed and over work, but they still find a way to tend to the need of nurses, doctor, and even administration on a 24 hr time frame. Springfield and the Administration will outsource it and fire people who have work very hard

BELIEVABLE Sep. 19, 2007 06:42:21 PM 2

To unbelievable-All nurses, ancillary staff, and other staff members agree to work towards meeting our patient�s needs. Why do you think we chose this career? We want to make a difference and SAVE LIVES! I love the staff that I work with and know beyond a doubt that we work hard for our patients! I have also spent plenty of time in the ER caring for our community. My child has also been a patient there. I do not think you get what we are trying to express. The nurses etc WANT our patient�s to be taken care of efficiently and in a timely manner. Do you honestly think that we are complaining about ideas that would help our patients? We invite them. Yet Six Sigma takes a Manufacturing approach to people. Are you a thing? We CAN NOT achieve GREAT patient care when there are no nurses, no housekeepers to clean your room, or no one to cook your meal. Not to mention NO ER DR to treat you. All the while Springfield is sitting pretty. To Olivia- Perhaps did you take into consideration that not only do some people have spouses that bring in an income but many have second jobs to supplement VBMC�s LOW wages. I hope you do not think that we are rolling in the dough. There are a lot of us who barely gets by much less able to contribute to our retirement. You should see what admin drives oh yeah and fly�s.

Who Sep. 19, 2007 06:20:17 PM 2

To Unbelieveable. Nothing wrong with having a nice car. Nurses and doctors work LONG hours around the clock with screaming patients, lawsuit threatening families and administrators shouting the numbers game. Some people have worked many years and long hours and can afford a nice car. Some administrators are simply the product of who they know and who they, well fill in the rest. They do nothing special other than go along with the game and are home by 5 pm or fly to Houston in the corporate jet. Ungrateful? Hardly the word to describe the true life blood of Valley Baptist hospital. Its doctors and nurses.

Observer Sep. 19, 2007 06:15:26 PM 2

What is the purpose of having a psychiatrist as an adminstration member? This guy in no way represents physicians or their needs. To know that he can sit at these corporate and management meetings and not stand up for physicians is beyond me. Oh, sorry forgot. Money can make most people sell their souls.

Humbug Sep. 19, 2007 06:11:00 PM 2

I don't think the problem is Six-Sigma per se. It sounds like management does not understand that it has become a tool of intimidation and frustration. No one is against quality care initiatives. You don't beat kids until they finally get it. You teach, you communicate, you support, you enrich and continue that cycle. This fail once and get fired approach is simply not the solution. Sounds like those put in positions to carry out projects have become objects of tyranny because money and job security has been put as the prize for perfection. To Mr. Springfield you are no Ben McKibbens. He would have been smart enough to put his pride aside and work and hand with people. He understood the meaning of a community hospital and you have in a short period of time destroyed what many hard working people have spent decades to build. Congratulations.

Stressed out Sep. 19, 2007 06:03:19 PM 2

I am a VBMC employee and Six sigma is the last thing the medical field needs. It was originally designed for manufacturing. It is a total joke. Then enter the quarterly goals and evaluations that management is dictating what goals you can and can not have and if they are not part of the hospitals cascading goals then you can not do them. This is completely rediculous. Then enter the new goal format sheet that takes a degree to decipher and all the time in the world to complete when you are expected to meet productivity and achieve six sigma. And if you don't meet those goals and achieve prefect management expectations there is no annual raise. Springfield has to be the biggest crook in the world. Then comes the parking lot that is riddled with pot holes and destroys the underneath of your car. I think the ER's docs are right in leaving this horrible environment where patient care takes a backseat to the almighty dollar.

concerned citizen Sep. 19, 2007 06:03:13 PM 2

The community and Valley Baptist are losing good ER doctors. What a shame.

No Respect Sep. 19, 2007 06:01:55 PM 2

Springfield and Six Sigma have NO respect for nursing. We work with a decreased budget and care hours. Valley Baptist expects us to do more with less- more patients with less staff. Six Sigma- if you can not achieve it - it is counted against you on evaluations however you can only do so much with the very limited resources available to you. Staff leaving � why � poor work environment � do more with less. Poor morale � high patient load � non competitive salary with other hospitals in the valley. Nurses are what make a hospital run. They are the care providers and yet they get treated poorly. What is Valley Baptist doing to retain and recruit more nurses? There has not been a newspaper ad to invite employment for much needed nurses and there has not been anything offered to retain the ones remaining. Is Six Sigma really to improve patient care or is it to make Dr. Gonzalez and Springfield well known for their corporate strategies.

HCC Sep. 19, 2007 06:01:29 PM 2

And this guy was selected by the mayor to lead the health care initiatives for Harlingen economic plan? Now its going to spread into the community.

billy jo Sep. 19, 2007 05:58:29 PM 2

How is it that this guy Jim and his comrades left high paying jobs and exclusive living arrangements in Houston to live and work in Harlingen, Texas? Answer is that they probably saw the potential to make a killing. Conquer, make friends with the nobles and pillage the peonage before they figure out what is going on. When they do, accept a job at a higher paying position and announced that the job is now done. Then laugh all the way to the bank.

A slave to 666 sigma Sep. 19, 2007 05:53:11 PM 2

It has been sadly joked that we work for the DEVIL. Somehow it doesn't appear to be a joke.

Enough Sep. 19, 2007 05:50:37 PM 2

Olivia � it is obvious that you do not work at VBHS. I challenge you to join our team and see how long you can put up with Six Sigma initiative that do more damage than good. Our ER physicians are some of the finest in our community. I thank them a million times over for the care and compassion they have expressed every time my family has had to visit the ER. You my dear are the idiot. Unbelievable � You too must not work at VBHS. I have the privilege of working with some of the best and hardest working individuals in our community. We are all very grateful to have a job and most of us contribute to the VBHS Foundation. Guess where the money VBHS extends to the community comes from� VBHS Foundation. To Administration - The conditions we are working under are unbearable. The �Believe in a better life� campaign is a joke. Most of us are on antidepressants, high blood pressure medication, and sleep aids so we can cope. My challenge to you is to improve our working conditions.

Bob Sep. 19, 2007 05:45:40 PM 2

I am also tired of the VPs and suits walking into our depts acting like we need to drop everything to Hail them. They walk around like the Gestapo ready to report people. Anyone also notice that Jim cant go anywhere without some kind of group around him like he is a king or something.

Jim Boy Sep. 19, 2007 05:41:24 PM 2

Anybody know the name of Board members? Some attorneys would like to know.

take a closer look Sep. 19, 2007 05:39:36 PM 2

A note to board members who can't seem to find the solutions themselves, can we get that Channel 5 guy that investigates wrong doings? Because he usually gets things done.

get real II Sep. 19, 2007 05:39:23 PM 2

"Unbeliveable," I am employee and drive a 15 year old car. You must be looking at management's cars. Contributions that help others are made by generous people within the hospital and various members of the community. Do your research before speaking!

Deep Throat Sep. 19, 2007 05:39:21 PM 2

I cannot believe how some of these VPs have gone along all this time. They are getting paid lots of money to play along. Those that dont get shut up and shipped out with nice severance packages. Jimmy Boy has surrounded himself with yes men and women that if he tells them to eat their young they will. Jimmy Boy probably has some of the Board benefiting as well that those members are smart enough not to open their mouths or risk getting exposed. Why the need for all these VPs if all they are going to do is take orders from the top like robots? This just like Enron. There are some good people in the brass that rather dance with the devil at the expense of the little man. When you VPs going to stand up for yourselves?

scared too Sep. 19, 2007 05:35:17 PM 2

As a nurse who currently works for VBMC I have experienced working under time limits to meet SICK SIGMA requirements as well. MONEY NEEDS to go back to the patients! Mr Springfield, I hope you get ill are NOT treated as a VIP and have a TIMED nurse and MD See how great it feels

Quisqueyano Sep. 19, 2007 05:33:15 PM 2

Aramark or any of the other outsource companies are not to blame for what is going on at VBMC. Hospital administrators decided to hire this outsource company to handle departments such as engineering, housekeeping, transporting, valet, etc. It is not Aramarks fault that there is not enough linen for patients, that the air conditioners dont work, they should have been replaced years ago, that the food is not up to par, or that there are not enough transporters. Aramark only works with the equipment and personnel that the hospital already had in place. So now you know the truth.

LOST Sep. 19, 2007 05:20:32 PM 2

I used the screen name LOST because that is exactly how I feel. I absolutely agree that all the outsourcing has done nothing but generate fear and a loss of security. VBHS has gone through Medi Dyne Cardinal Health. I think back again Morrison and now Aramark. Keep in mind I have only been around just over 1 year and there may have been more! Let us not forget the biggest crooks FRG! FRG is such a fraud and has been a big mistake to the SYSTEM! They have done nothing but keep around the most incompetent Accounting supervisors I have ever witnessed. And I have seen it all. It is pretty sad when a VP does not like the management style of a department yet does not proactively to remedy the situation. I say fire them all! The board really needs to stick up for itself and the loyal VBHS staff. Stop treating us like heards to cattle. We are not up for slaughter or for sale. If Springfield believes in Six Sigma the way he does set up an initative within the corporate offices and then we will see if the lavish offices computer equip private security special parking spots are really worth being truely hated. The ER docs have it right on!

get real Sep. 19, 2007 05:13:51 PM 2

"unbelievable", you need to also understand that the new vehicles in the parking lot don't necessarily come from the employee's income, but that of their spouse's, etc.

unbelieveable Sep. 19, 2007 04:50:49 PM 2

I sure hope these blogs are not from employees. the last time in was in the vbmc employee parking lot there were plenty of nice new cars filling the slots. sounds like ungrateful. also, when the community needs money for this and that so always contributes? lets see you, nope. i think we need to be grateful to have valley baptist in harlingen.

kelly Sep. 19, 2007 04:46:43 PM 2

From what i understand about the bank issue is that all banks submitted bids to give the employees the best deal. HATCU did bid but did not offer the best deal for the employees. education of the issues should be done before assumptions are made.

Olivia Sep. 19, 2007 04:45:21 PM 2

I don't know about the rest of you, but if an organization is trying to improve the quality of care we, as patients, receive in the ER then what is wrong with that,think about that next time you are waiting to be seen and you are complaining you idiots.

respect Sep. 19, 2007 04:33:49 PM 2

The doctors and nurses are the life blood of VBMC. Without them there would not be a VBMC. The current administration does not respect and value the doctors and nurses like they should. The staff of nurses and doctors are the ones bringing in the revenue for the hospital, allowing it to function. Yet they are the staff receiving pay cuts and not being given the necessities to provide quality healthcare to this community . VBMC and this community needs the fine doctors and nurses we have and need to do everything we can to keep them here. Without them, what will VBMC be?

Former Hostage RN BSN Sep. 19, 2007 03:48:39 PM 2

Former Hostage RN BSN Sep. 19, 2007 03:46:40 PM 2

I am going to post in more than one installment. My posting is too long for one. It is well known you do not disagree with James Springfield. Ask the former CEO of Valley Baptist Brownsville. She spoke up for nurses and was gone within 2 weeks. One board member said he does not like to challenge him because he yells at them. You are his boss he is not yours. There is major discontent among all of the staff except those in Springfields elite circle that have sold their souls to the almighty dollar. Where is your conscience regarding respect and dignity for your fellow man? I do not know where he received his leadership training but where I received mine taught employees are happier and more productive when they feel they are valued and are actively engaged in decision making and policy development affecting their workplace. Instilling fear and threatening does not work. Nurses go home crying because they do noe have materials needed to care for patients and they have so many patients to care for they cannot care for patients appropriately. Several years ago, an efficiency team was paid about two and one half million dollars to watch nurses as they cared for patients. Monitors sat outside patients rooms and timed how long staff was in the room. One result of the study stated nurses wasted time in patients rooms. Many were told they stayed in the room too long. I am sorry but patients must be cared for mind body and spirit. Patients have needs and fears that need to be expressed. No wonder the reputation of the hospital has taken a nosedive since hiring James Springfield. Six Sigma is a joke. It was designed to determine factors that can be streamlined and made more efficient in a controlled environment such as manufacturing. Health care and patients are not products that can be controlled and they are not predictable.

Santiago Campo Sep. 19, 2007 03:19:10 PM 2

Correction. Karl Rove.

Santiago Campo Sep. 19, 2007 03:18:09 PM 2

What does the hospital attorney who is a member of a prominent valley family have to say about all this? His boss will leave sooner or later leaving him lying in a scandal mess that will truly come to the surface. I guess if you can invite Karl Rowe to your house you feel you can do anything. Hey wasn't Rowe indicted for some shady stuff too?

Santiago Campo Sep. 19, 2007 03:15:53 PM 2

Ultimate power leads to ultimate corruption.

Springf I mean Smith Sep. 19, 2007 03:02:05 PM 2

This will be a great thing! Now the hospital will place a doctor at triage to give medical screening exam and send away those pesky uninsured individuals. They should be going to indigent clinics anyway. Now those of us with insurance will be able to be seen much quicker. Serves those ER doctors right not to play along with the administration.

employee Sep. 19, 2007 02:05:34 PM 2

administration has no idea what they are doing, yes its true ever since sprinfield came into VBMC lots of things have changed Ive seen lots of good nurses leave due to being terrified. Also administration hired an outsource company Aramark to run all of its services and this company has no clue as to what they are doing, for God sake they hired a filing clerk to be a supervisor for a calling center, this hospital is going down the drain.

Harlingen native Sep. 19, 2007 01:25:02 PM 2

It is a travesty that Valley Baptist Harlingen has been made into a substandard hospital. Jim Springfield has taken everything away from Harlingen in order to improve Valley Baptist Brownsville, which is a lost cause as well. Why are the board members just sitting back and letting this happen, don't they realize that Jim Springfield has put their businesses in jeopardy? How can any of them be trusted again? The trustees have to fire Springfield in order to save face in this community.

Ears in the walls Sep. 19, 2007 12:34:20 PM 2

I heard Bob Dunkin Sr is waiting for Jim Springfield to run for Senate. Then Bob Dunkin II will take over as CEO of Valley Baptist and Chief of Medical Staff. Bob Sr will then run the ER himself so he can get people to use the First Community Bank ATM. Jim Springfield gave the Dunkin's MD certifcates so don't worry.

r55 Sep. 19, 2007 12:29:34 PM 2

Springfield is a snake, I do not know how people like him sleep at night.

nurse employee Sep. 19, 2007 12:03:11 PM 2

I wish for the public to know the great terror that I as a nurse face working under Mr. Springfield and his current supporters. I feel as if I am working for General Electric, the company that gives Mr. Springfield advice on the Six Sigma program. Mr. Springfield, you have placed fear in all who surround you. Other VPs working for the hospital, you are just as much to blame. I am hopeful that this recent outrage abolishes all of you so we can return to taking care of our patients. We deserve better than this. Our board of directors should be ashamed of what they have allowed Mr. Springfield to do at Valley Baptist Health System.

Betty - employee Sep. 19, 2007 11:09:00 AM 2

The Dunkin family should take Mr. Springfield to Mexico to drink tequila! Perhaps he already is in partnerhship with the Dunkins. Mr. Springfield, you have ruined our community, have terrorized employees, and have been putting so much money in your pocket, as well as other community elitists, it is incredulous. Why don't you pack your bags and go back to Houston. Or did you step on too many toes there as well? If I were you, I would start praying for salvation. The devil has you in the grip of his hand!

employee Sep. 19, 2007 09:14:39 AM 2

Springfield pack your bags and get out. Your not wanted at Valley Baptist anymore. You have ruined a once well runned established facility.

Concerned Valley Citizen Sep. 19, 2007 08:52:13 AM 2

Surely they cannot all be simply cry babies. There are too many comments with too many real concerns about the operation of VBMC and Jim Springfield at the helm. I encourage all of us to start contacting the Board members for an investigation into these practices.

John Marshal Sep. 19, 2007 08:27:50 AM 2

Mr. Springfield came to VBMC from Herman Memorial in Houston where he was the CFO, He came to VBMC as CEO and imediately broght his former boss from Herman as his CFO, which means they changed postitions. Shortyl after that they hired several people including a hospital CFO, hospital controller, hospital VP of finance. they were all gone within a couple of months from each other after they did not agree with Mr. Springfields numbers on several projects including purchasing the country club, building a new wellness center, buying a local health club for more that its value and other project. VBMC is now full of consultants and Six Sigma people from Houston who now surround Jim Springfield. My question is where is the Board, has Mr Springfield gotten VBMC in do deep they can not take action against him. What a shame that one person of any postion can so adversly effect an institution such as VBMC and I promise more will come out once he leaves and he will.

Doc Sep. 19, 2007 08:09:57 AM 2

Wow, it seems that this ordeal has become an enormous public relations nightmare for VBHS. It will be interesting to see if and how they respond.

concerned citizen Sep. 19, 2007 08:06:32 AM 2

Valley Baptist Harlingen used to be the best hospital in the Rio Grande Valley, until Jim Springfield and his Houston Honchos took over. They have destroyed what has taken years to build. Where are the Board of Trustees? Their main job is to make sure that the hospital is run correctly. Jim Springfield needs to be fired ASAP, before it is too late.

patient 0998 Sep. 19, 2007 07:03:36 AM 1

I was recently in the ER department about a month ago, I went in with a migrane headache, it seemed that my head was going to explode. The treatment there was exceptional. The triage nurse was excellent and so was Dr. Lightner. I was also impressed with the floor staff and ancillary deptartments. I have heard of negative remarks of visits to the ER, but experienced a different visit. Thank-you ER deptartment of VBMC.

Anonymous Sep. 19, 2007 06:55:57 AM 2

I feel the Emergency Room doctors are making the correct move to leave Valley Baptist. Mr. Springfield, and his Six Sigma Initiative is nothing more than a failure. He does not care about the patients or employees. He can fire an entire department for not following his strict rules and has a plethora of workers ready in Houston where Mr. Springfield worked before coming to the Valley. Each week, employees are flown from Houston to the Valley to work at the hospital. They are provided with homes, apartments, cars and the like. Each weekend they fly back to Houston. I worked for the hospital for many years. When Mr. Springfield came to town with his Six Sigma Initiative, employees began to fear him and their job security. Mr. Springfield does not care. Is he really a Christian when he imposes threats upon all employed by the hospital system? He enjoys an extravagant lifestyle, enjoys his Vice Presidents treating employees harshly on his behalf, and basically is a selfish, condescending human being. I am sorry that we lost the ER doctors. Perhaps the Valley community should look into how things are really run at the hospital. I'm glad I resigned and am happily employed at another Valley hospital. If I ever need to be hospitalized, it will not be at Valley Baptist. Who in their right mind would wish to have stressed out employees and doctors working on them in this hostile environment! Not me. I'd travel to McAllen or Weslaco if I were to be hospitalized before I would ever be admitted to Valley Baptist Health System.

Jake the Snake Sep. 19, 2007 06:50:39 AM 2

Sounds like a bunch cry babies. Springfield is number one.

Enrique arguelles rn Sep. 19, 2007 04:55:48 AM 2

i was a full time employe at baptist for 6 yr, and became a part time rn now. I work twicw a month there in the hospitalm and when they call me to help if they need me. i see the unit where i work loose all the nurses to other hospital. we used to be well in the unit but after springfield took over they stared cuting down the nurses and the patient care is not the same. it is more stressfull to work there, people tell me it would get better but it gets worse evey time i work there. i love my unit and the people i work with but i dont know what happen. i here rummors that springfield even bougth a jett plane, and we are a non profit organization figure that out.

Disillusioned Sep. 19, 2007 04:45:09 AM 2

Does someone want to ask Mr. Dunkin about the family members that work at Valley Baptist? And why when they were hired, they did not start at the bottom, but rather went directly to the top,with perks and all just like daddy? The hospital is making money, but the money is staying within his family. The money made is suppose to go back to the community not back in their pocket.

mescal Sep. 18, 2007 10:10:42 PM 2

Just curious but are these the same Dunkin family that are on Board at FCB and VBMC, once again Christian in name only. But a tequila drought will be a boon for some � Harlingen businessman Dial Dunkin is one waiting for the shortage. The 72-year old former president of Harlingen National Bank owns a 150-acre farm in southern Tamaulipas with �every inch covered in agave.� He grows strictly agave azul, the type used to make tequila. Agave blanco is used for other alcohols like mezcal. Crops from his farm are sold to Chinaco, a high-end tequila maker in Jalisco. Dunkin has about a half million plants on his farm, and he�s looking for more land for crops. Another reason agave farmers are abandoning crops is the high demand for corn to produce ethanol, he said. But with the seven-to-eight-year cycle that has become custom in the agave industry, Dunkin is confident he can ride out any lows and wait for a boom. �I think I�m going to have it very good,� he said.

A Concerned VB Employee Sep. 18, 2007 09:16:37 PM 1

In response to "Jim Bo"'s question, Mr. Bob Dunkin is CEO of First Community Bank, and he is also Chairman of the Board of Directors of Valley Baptist Health System. Mr. Dunkin's son Bob Dunkin II is President of FCB and is also a board member of VBHS. Coincidentally, First Community Bank is the only bank with an actual branch on Valley Baptist - Harlingen property, although to be fair, Harlingen Area Teacher's Credit Union also has ATMs on site. I leave it to the public to draw its own conclusions about the appropriateness of the relationship between FCB, VBHS, and the Dunkins.

don't loose focus Sep. 18, 2007 09:15:58 PM 2

Let's also not loose our focus. Valley Baptist is NOT the administration. Valley Baptist is the men and women who work there! Valley Baptist is not to blame for the decline in it's ability to serve the community. The blame lies with James Springfield and the men and women who back him up. The nurses, physicians and all other support staff who have worked and continue to work there are just as sick over these events as the public, and more so because they see what's happening. They remain out of dedication NOT to Springfield and the greed that describes the current administration, but rather because of their love and dedcication to the patients and the physicians who have given more than many of you can know. It is time for James Springfield and his puppets to leave this once fine establishment and allow it's people to rebuild and restore the Christian vision that has been and will be again Valley Baptist Medical Center.

heavyheart Sep. 18, 2007 09:08:11 PM 2

well said valley baptist doc. Words for Springfield take the 310 to Yuma.

valley baptist doc Sep. 18, 2007 09:01:55 PM 2

I have been a physician in this community for over a decade and in the years since the Springfield administration has taken control, my heart has ached time and again as wonderful talented people at all levels of nursing and administration have been forced to leave suddenly, sometimes under false accusations, in a manner that made them feel like criminals. Many of these people had devoted many years or even decades of their lives to serving their community. These bright minds have sought careers in other states or in other fields entirely, a loss to Harlingen. I was drawn to this area from far away by the excitement both of area physicians and the administration in CARING FOR PEOPLE and by the LOYALTY that employees at all levels felt for Valley Baptist. That loyalty is now long gone, as many writing on this blog can confirm. The attitude of caring for patients and each other has been replaced by an attitude of fear, of wondering whether your job will be the next one outsourced or eliminated. It is my prayer that the hospital board will exert its authority at a time when it is desperately needed.

Bruce S. Sep. 18, 2007 08:52:21 PM 2

What, and VBMC was rated as one of the top ER facilities in the nation. Maybe someone should look into the way this was determined. As a former employee I attended a six six six sigma meeting where this was explained , they only messured a very short from point a to point b , not the entire time a patient was stuck in the ER. Valley Baptist is a Christian organization in name only and would like to be known as a communtity hospital instead of a non-profit hospital as per the current administration, that way it does not look so bad whe

Online Features

Pet Central

pets

Having a pet is a lot of responsibility, and we’ll help by giving you lots of tips and tricks! More >>

Fitness

Fitness

Our fitness articles will help teach you how to work out with gym- and home-based exercises. More >>

Crosswords

Crosswords

Enjoy the crosswords challenge in our free daily puzzles, from the harder Sunday crossword to the quicker daily. More >>

Sudoku

Sudoku

Every Sudoku has a unique solution that can be reached logically. Enter numbers into the blank spaces so that each row, column and 3x3 box contains the numbers 1 to 9. More >>