BY Melissa Vasquez
EDINBURG – The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley picked up more than a dozen honors for creative excellence at the American Advertising Federation (AAF)-Rio Grande Valley ADDY Awards competition on Feb. 18.
Recognized at the annual event, which acknowledges the work of the Valley’s advertising and marketing community, was The Studio at UTRGV, an arm of UTRGV’s University Marketing and Communications department, as well as individual UTRGV faculty and students who also brought home honors.
The Studio at UTRGV, under the guidance of Dr. Kimberly Selber, director of Marketing and Creative Services, garnered a “Best of Show,” a “Best of Print,” two gold honors and eight silvers for work ranging from billboard campaigns to brochures.
Patrick Gonzales, assistant vice president for University Marketing and Communications, said the awards point to the UMC staff’s teamwork and dedication.
“We knew it was important for our office to develop and implement impactful marketing pieces during the transition to UTRGV, and these awards help confirm that we were able to do that,” Gonzales said. “What makes this recognition even more special is that so many members of our team contributed, and that we were able to serve the UTRGV campus community.”
The annual ADDY awards competition recognizes creative excellence in local media, including print, broadcast, interactive, out-of-home and public service. Winners of the Rio Grande Valley ADDY Awards are eligible to compete in the second level of the three-tiered ADDY Awards competition. At the second tier, local winners compete against other winners in one of 15 district competitions. District winners are then forwarded to the third tier, the national ADDY Awards competition. The AAF is the oldest national advertising trade association, representing 50,000 professionals in the advertising industry.
The Studio at UTRGV collaborated on some of the winning pieces with Stamats, a higher education marketing agency.
University Marketing and Communications team members garnering awards were include Kimberly Selber, creative director/copywriter; Roberto Castro, Santa Hernandez, Daniel Cardenas, Denise Zamora, Eddie Woodward, Elisa Flores, Abby Chavarrilla, Alex Garrido, Karla Castillo, Michael Sandoval, Ricardo Camargo, Ike Galindo, Kevin Shropshire, Pete Tijerina, Juan Ramirez, Sally Mendiola, Ruben Capuchino, and Patrick Gonzales, assistant vice president for University Marketing and Communications.
· Best of Show: We Will Billboard Campaign, created for UTRGV, Out-of-Home & Ambient Media Campaign.
· Best of Print: We Will Billboard Campaign, created for UTRGV, Out-of-Home & Ambient Media Campaign.
· GOLD: Prestige Brochure, created for UTRGV, Collateral Material-Brochure.
· GOLD: We Will Billboard Campaign, created for UTRGV. Out-of-Home & Ambient Media Campaign
· SILVER: We Will Campaign – Magazine Ads, created for UTRGV, Magazine Advertising Campaign.
· SILVER: 2015-2016 V Club Donor Guidebook, created for UTRGV Intercollegiate Athletics, Collateral Material-Brochure.
· SILVER: UTRGV Countdown, created for UTRGV, Online/Interactive – Social Media – Multiple Platforms.
· SILVER: Entering Freshman Admit Packet, created for UTRGV Admissions, Direct Mail – Flat – Single.
· SILVER: Discover UTRGV, created for UTRGV Admissions, Collateral Material – Special Event Material.
· SILVER: We Will Campaign, created for UTRGV, Integrated Branded Content Campaign.
· SILVER: Vaqueros Journey, created for UTRGV Intercollegiate Athletics, Internet Commercial – Single Spot – Any Length.
· SILVER: UTRGV Recruitment Video, created for UTRGV Recruitment, Audio/Visual Sales Presentation.
UTRGV FACULTY AND STUDENT ADDY AWARDS
In addition to The Studio at UTRGV, two UTRGV art faculty entered their own work in the professional category and picked up RGV-ADDY honors, as did numerous UTRGV students.
· Ping Xu, lecturer, art department: SILVER – Truman Study Abroad China – Poster Campaign, Out-of-Home & Ambient Media – Poster-Campaign
· Robert Gilbert, associate professor, art department: SILVER – Travel Journal, Hengyang, China, Out-of-Home & Ambient Media – Poster
Blanca Lilia Villarreal
GOLD – Blanca Lilia Self Promotion, Sales & Marketing – Sales Promotion – Packaging
GOLD – Love Should Not Hurt, Out-of-Home & Ambient Media – Poster – Single
GOLD – Illegal Dreamers, Out-of-Home & Ambient Media – Poster – Single
SILVER – Iguana Vector Illustration, Elements of Advertising – Illustration – Single
Arael E. Meza
GOLD – UTRGV Holiday Card, Sales & Marketing – Special Event Materials
SILVER – Valley Christian Magazine, Sales & Marketing – Publication Design – Series
SILVER – Austin City Limits Music Festival BRM, Sales & Marketing – Direct Marketing – Direct Marketing.
GOLD – Art against Violence Advocacy Poster, Out-of-Home & Ambient Media – Poster – Single
SILVER – Genopa, Out-of-Home & Ambient Media – Poster – Single
GOLD – Cock Fighting Typography, Out-of-Home & Ambient Media – Poster – Single
SILVER – Living the Dream, Out-of-Home & Ambient Media – Single Occurrence or Installation
SILVER – Mona Vie, Elements of Advertising – Visual – Logo Design
SILVER – Isasoto, Elements of Advertising – Visual – Logo Design
SILVER – Arkitekt Logo Design, Elements of Advertising – Visual – Logo Design
GOLD – Paola Graphic Design Logo, Elements of Advertising – Visual – Logo Design
Megan Rae Gonzalez
SILVER – Personal Applications Concepts, Elements of Advertising – Illustration – Single
Deyla Lerma, Jose Quintanilla, Blanca Villarreal, Jessica Gonzalez and Mildred Olavarria, SILVER – REM: The American State of Mind – Invitation Category, Elements of Advertising – Art Direction