As the Spring Break holiday approaches, The Texas Department of Public Safety is urging drivers to use extra caution on roadways when highway traffic increases.
DPS troopers and local law enforcement in the coastal areas of the state will be on the lookout for speeders, drunk drivers and seat-belt violators.
DPS officials advise drivers take precautions on the road such as:
* Slow down — especially in bad weather, construction areas, heavy traffic and unfamiliar areas.
* Eliminate distractions while driving, including the use of mobile devices.
* Buckle up everyone in the vehicle — it’s the law.
* Don’t drive fatigued, and allow plenty of time to reach your destination.
* Drive defensively, as holiday travel may present additional challenges.
* Make sure your vehicle is properly maintained before your trip begins.
* Slow down or move over for tow trucks, as well as police, fire, EMS and Texas Department of Transportation vehicles stopped on the side of the road with emergency lights activated — it’s the law.