Makes about 24 cookies
Each cookie is approx. 72 calories
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (about 9 ounces)
3 large egg whites, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar, divided (plus 1/2 cup for cookie coating)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in glass bowl in microwave, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Set aside and let cool slightly.
3. Using electric mixer, beat whites in large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft marshmallow cream.
4. Whisk 1 cup sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Then, on a low speed, add these dry ingredients into the marshmallow cream mixture.
5. Next, add remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips to lukewarm chocolate mixture (dough will become very stiff).
6. Add chocolate mixture to cream mixture and blend well.
7. Place remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar in bowl. Roll 1 rounded tablespoon dough into ball; roll in sugar, coating thickly. Place on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing 2 inches apart.
8. Bake until puffed and tops crack, about 10 minutes. Cool on sheets on rack 10 minutes.
9. Transfer to rack, cool.