The next step in UTRGV’s process of con-ducting a football feasibility study is complete.
The university is announcing today its committee for the study. The committee consists of nine university members, nine community members and three special advisors.
The committee will be chaired by former University of Texas football coach Mack Brown, who will work with members to develop a recommendation for UTRGV athletic director Chris King to make to UTRGV president Guy Bailey.
King said Brown will be active in coming to the Rio Grande Valley and talking with various interest groups.
“This committee is broadly representative of our university community and our larger community,” Bailey told The Monitor . “We need both of those things. That’s key. The second thing I like is there are very savvy business people that can help us understand whether we can support football as a business enterprise. That’s important.”
The nine community members:
– Dr. Nolan Perez, M.D.: Gastroenterology consult-ant
– Tudor Ulhorn: President of Rio Grande Equipment Co.
– Alonzo Cantu: UTRGV Foundation Board member and CEO of Cantu Entertainment Group
– Dan Martinez: CEO of Dan Martinez & Associates LP
– David Oliveira: Attorney at Roerig, Oliveira & Fisher
– Val LaMantia Peisen: L & F Distributors
– Gene Powell: Former University of Texas system board of regent and CEO of Bitterblue and The Powell Companies
– Bob Vackar: CEO of Bert Ogden Auto Group
– Rose Vela: Attorney at Law
– Oliver Luck: Executive vice president of the NCAA
– Mike Vollmar: Senior associate athletic director for football administration at the University of Tennessee
– Alan Marks: Assistant vice chancellor of academic affairs and athletics counsel for the University of Texas system
For the rest of this story and many other EXTRAS, go to our premium site, www.MyValleyStar.com.
Subscribe to it for only $6.99 per month or purchase a print subscription and receive the online version free, which includes an electronic version of the full newspaper and extra photo galleries, links and other information you can’t find anywhere else.