Yield: 18 servings
1 cup buttermilk
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup warm water (100F to 110F)
3 to 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup shortening
1. Mix buttermilk and baking soda together.
2. Mix yeast, sugar, salt and water together. Let stand until foamy.
3. Combine flour and shortening, stirring with a fork until mixed well. Mix in buttermilk mixture. Mix in yeast mixture. (Dough will be wet.) Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
4. Pat out dough to 1/2-inch thickness on a heavily floured board. Cut biscuits with a 2-inch cutter. Place on a baking sheet and let rise 20 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 400F.
6. Bake biscuits 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Makes about 18.
Note: Angel biscuits are a cross between a biscuit and a yeast roll. Placing them close together on the baking sheet makes them rise more.