½ cup granulated sugar
3 ½ cups boiled water
½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 or 4 lemons)
1 cup strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon water
1. Before juicing the lemons, rub the skin aggressively with ½ cup of granulated sugar. This will release the natural oils in the lemon skin and perfume the sugar for the simple syrup.
2. In a small bowl, combine ½ cup of recently boiled water with perfumed granulated sugar to create a simple syrup. Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved. Set aside.
3. Combine the remaining 3 cups of water, lemon juice and simple syrup in a pitcher. Stir. Place in the refrigerator and keep chilled until ready to serve.
4. While lemonade is chilling, purée strawberries and water in a food processor until liquefied. Strain, reserving the juice and discarding the strawberry pulp.
5. Add puree to lemonade and chill mixture longer if necessary. Pour over ice and serve with complementary herbs if desired—we recommend a sprig of oregano in each glass.