Yield: 6 servings
Cook: 50 minutes
½ cup natural cane sugar
16 ounces sweet cherries, pitted
1 ¼ cups buttermilk
1/3 cup almond flour
2 tablespoons brown rice or all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 9-inch pie pan with unsalted butter. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sugar.
2. Arrange the cherries in a single layer on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, remaining sugar, almond flour, brown rice flour, vanilla, ginger, and salt until smooth. Pour evenly over the fruit.
4. Bake for about 50 minutes, until golden brown around the edges and set in the center. Test by inserting a toothpick in the center—if it comes out clean, the clafoutis is ready.
5. Allow to cool slightly, then dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.