4 portobello mushroom caps
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
1/3 cup liquid aminos or soy sauce
2 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 white onions, sliced into rings
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 ½ cups baby arugula
avocado slices (optional)
4 burger buns, pita pockets or 8 slices of bread
2 cups shredded jicama
2 cups shredded Pink Lady apple
½ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
1. Clean the mushroom caps and remove stems. Place the caps in a shower dish or Ziploc bag; mix the liquid aminos and rosemary with the water and pour it over the mushroom caps. Marinate for at least 2 hours.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Once hot, introduce onion slices to the pan and sauté them until they begin to become clear, stirring occasionally. Add balsamic vinegar and to the onion sauté and continue to cook them until they are limp and most of the liquid has been cooked out.
3. Heat your grill with a medium-high flame and take the portobello mushroom caps out of the marinade. Make sure to drain them of excess liquid, and grill them for 10-12 minutes on each side or until they have shrunken in size and softened.
4. Toast your buns, place mushroom cap on the bottom and top it with the caramelized onions. Place uncooked baby arugula, tomatoes, avocado and Dijon mustard on top of the onions, followed by the top bun.
5. For the salad, use a julienne peeler or grater to shred the jicama and apple. Toss them together with the orange juice in a bowl and serve chilled.