2 pounds salmon fillet, skin off
12 ounces king oyster mushroom confit (see recipe below)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 lemon, zested
2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 scallions, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Cut half the salmon fillet into 1/4-inch pieces and set aside.
2. Cut the other half of the salmon fillet into roughly 1/2-inch pieces; place in a cold food-processor bowl and pulse about five times. Add the egg and lemon zest, and pulse until combined, about three to five pulses.
3. Place the salmon mixture into a bowl and add the 1/4-inch pieces of salmon, mushroom confit, mayo and scallions. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Using a gloved hand or spatula, fold the mixture together; it will feel a little tacky. Cook a small tester piece in an oiled skillet to check for seasoning, and adjust as needed.
5. Form into patties and pan fry in oil. Add a bit of butter into the pan when the patties are close to being done cooking (ideally around medium-rare to medium).
12 ounces king oyster mushrooms
Lemon peel, garlic cloves, thyme and bay leaf
Cut king oyster mushrooms into 1/4-inch dice. Heat up olive oil with a cheesecloth sachet of lemon peel, garlic cloves, thyme and bay leaf to 170 degrees. Add the mushrooms. Cook until tender, about 5-10 minutes. Strain and season with salt.