The Harlingen school board Tuesday night voted to begin using research-based methods for teaching phonics.
The methods have been developed by the Neuhaus Education Center.
The school board agreed to begin using those methods to teach phonics to children in grades pre-K through second.
Phonics is important because it is one of five components important for teaching children how to read. Those five components also include phonemics (sounds of words), fluency, comprehension and vocabulary.
READER’S CHOICE WINNERS
Last night trustee also recognized this year’s Valley Morning Star Readers’ Choice Award winners.
The winners include:
- Best Elementary School – Stuart Place Elementary
- Best Middle School – Memorial Middle School
- Best High School – Harlingen High School
- Best Paraprofessional – Nora Ortega, Bowie Elementary
- Best Coach – Manny Gomez, Harlingen High School
- Best Sports Team – Harlingen High School Football Team