HARLINGEN — With some children heading back to school this week, police are reminding everyone to take extra precautions while driving through school zones.
Officials are providing the following safety tips to ensure all children are kept safe.
Share the Road
– Remember the school buses will be out picking up or dropping off kids. Drivers should pay attention at all times, but especially before or after school.
– If the yellow or red lights on the bus are flashing and the stop arm is extended, you must stop. It is illegal to pass a school bus that is stopped on the road receiving or discharging a student.
– Be alert because children can be unpredictable.
Dropping off/picking up
– Make sure you know what your school drop-off and pick-up procedures are for the safety of all kids.
– Give yourself enough time to get your child to school to avoid being late or in a hurry.
– Drivers should be aware that children will be walking or biking to school, so slow down, especially in residential areas and school zones.
– Remember, there is no cell phone usage in school zones.