Storms possible for lower Valley

HARLINGEN — The lower Rio Grande Valley may receive a thunderstorm or two throughout the next few days, according to the National Weather Service in Brownsville.

There is a 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in the Harlingen area through Sunday morning. Sunday night’s chances for thunderstorms are 30 percent. And Monday and Tuesday’s chances increase to 50 percent.

A weak disturbance and disorganized showers originating in the Mississippi and Alabama area near the northern Gulf waters will travel south and then “meander south toward the coast where Texas and Louisiana meet, down to the interior of Texas and then Mexico,” said Julie Lesko, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service.

Lesko said there will not be a significant amount of rain, as rainfall will range between half an inch to an inch and a half.

Scattered widespread showers are expected throughout the upper Valley, with a few isolated thunderstorms, Lesko said.

The scattered thunderstorms and showers will come at a time when the upper Valley has not received a lot of rainfall — once in June, another in July and day of heavy rain last Monday.