So, your kids say they hate brussels sprouts, do they? We’re here to change their minds. These are a few of our favorite recipes for dressing up this down-to-earth veggie in ways the whole family will love.
Crispy Salt and Pepper Brussels Sprouts
1 pound Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 ounce freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Slice each Brussels sprout into 3 or 4 slices.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the coconut oil. Add the Brussels sprouts to the skillet, tossing them well to coat with the oil. Use a spatula or heatproof spoon to spread the sprouts into a single layer (the best you can) in the skillet. Let the sprouts cook until crispy on the bottom, 5 minutes. Flip the Brussels and cook until the other side is crispy, 5 minutes. Flip any remaining sprouts and cook until golden and crisp.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat and toss the salt and pepper with the Brussels.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Brown Butter
1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Trim Brussels sprouts and cut into halves. Combine olive oil, salt and black pepper in a medium bowl. Add the Brussels sprouts and toss to coat. Place on a nonstick baking sheet and roast 20 minutes, or until golden brown just on the edges.
3. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove bacon from pan and drain off fat. Crumble bacon.
4. Return pan to stovetop. Add butter and cook 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly until butter is browned. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add breadcrumbs and crumbled bacon. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
5. Add roasted Brussels sprouts to the bacon mixture and toss to coat.
Brussels Sprout Salad with Parmesan and Walnuts
1 pound Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
1 apple, shredded
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place Brussels sprouts and apple in a mixing bowl and toss lightly to separate the layers of sprouts. Add walnuts and cheese.
2. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, whisking well. Drizzle over sprout mixture. Toss well. Serve immediately.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Chestnuts
1 pound chestnuts (2 1/2 cups shelled)
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut into halves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces chopped ham
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Toss chestnuts, Brussels sprouts and olive oil together and spread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Roast 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Add ham and soy sauce. Bake 10 minutes.