ARLINGTON – Creating futures.
Marcelo Cavazos began fashioning his future while growing up in San Benito.
He was an apprentice then, honing his skill at self-determination every moment of his young life. Then came the day he took his work into the world, practicing his craft of self improvement in an endless array of internships.
Under the watchful eye of mentors he studied, practiced, achieved, until finally he himself was the teacher, the mentor, the watcher.
Today the 48-year-old superintendent at Arlington Independent School District continues to create his future.
However, these days his present and his future are fused in a dual effort to lay the foundation for the futures of other children.
“We have to be focused and strategic on the success of students everyday,” Cavazos said. “That’s what we’re all about in Arlington ISD.”
So powerful has been his influence, the Texas Association of School Boards has just named him the 2016 Superintendent of the Year for Texas.
For the rest of this story and many other EXTRAS, go to our premium site, www.MyValleyStar.com.
Subscribe to it for only $6.99 per month or purchase a print subscription and receive the online version free, which includes an electronic version of the full newspaper and extra photo galleries, links and other information you can’t find anywhere else.
Parents: Jesus and Consuelo Cavazos
Born and raised: San Benito
Brothers: Salvador Cavazos and Art Cavazos are also superintendents
* He holds a bachelor’s and a master’s degree from the University of Texas – Pan American in Edinburg (now UTRGV) and a doctorate from the University of Texas at Austin.
* Taught English In Mission from 1990 – 1992
* Taught English and Government in McAllen for one year.
* Served as secondary language arts supervisor for Mercedes school district from 1993 – 1995
* Served as associate adviser for San Benito school district from 1995 – 1998
* Joined the Arlington school district in 1999 as associate superintendent for instruction.
* Became superintendent of Arlington schools in December 2012.