Yield: 6-8 servings
1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs, skin and bones removed
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground guajillo chili powder
1 teaspoon ground chipotle
6 cups chicken stock
10 ounces corn (thawed if frozen)
4 cups small white navy beans (soaked overnight and precooked for 30-40 minutes)
Bunch cilantro, minced
Green onions, thinly sliced
Avocado, cut into medium sized pieces
1. Heat canola oil in a heavy dutch oven over medium heat. Add minced onion. Stir and continue to cook over medium heat until soft; about 5 minutes.
2. While onion is cooking, cut chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken to onions, stir and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and salt. Reduce heat; simmer for 1 minute. Add Mexican oregano, cumin, coriander, guajillo chili powder and chipotle.
4. Add chicken stock and corn; stir to mix well. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Add beans and cook for another 30 minutes or until thickened.
5. Spoon into serving bowls, season with salt and pepper and serve with toppings.