1 cup Ritz crackers crushed fine
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp dill weed
1/4 cup flour
2 Tbsp half and half or milk
2 chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless salt and pepper
2 thin slices extra sharp cheddar cheese – about an inch long and 1/4” thick
2 thin slices mozzarella cheese about an inch long and 1/4” thick
1 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup chicken stock
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp sour cream
1 green onion chopped – if desired mushrooms (optional)
1. Combine Ritz cracker crumbs, flour, paprika, celery salt and dill weed in a zipper type bag and set aside.
2. Put the additional 1/3 cup of flour in a bowl and set aside.
3. In a small bowl beat the egg and half and half together until well blended. Set aside.
4. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and then pound thin, about 1/4” will be great.
5. Take 1 piece of the cheddar and 1 piece of the mozzarella cheese and lay it in the center of the chicken breast. Roll the chicken around the cheese and secure with toothpicks. Repeat for the 2nd piece of chicken.
6. Roll each piece of chicken in flour, then roll in the egg mixture and then drop into the zipper type bag with the cracker mixture. Coat really well. Repeat for the 2nd piece of chicken.
7. Set them on a plate in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
8. Heat oil and butter in a small skillet over medium heat. When your oil is about 325 carefully place the chicken in the hot pan. Cook until golden brown. Turn and cook the other side to golden brown.
9. Remove from skillet and place on a rack over a baking dish. Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the chicken is done.
10. Remove from oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving.
11. Once you have removed the chicken from the skillet discard all but about a tablespoon or two of the cooking oil.
12. Add the flour and stir constantly until it turns nutty brown being careful not to burn it.
13. Add your chicken stock all at once and stir until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
14. Just before serving add sour cream and stir well.
15. Place your chicken on the plate, drizzle with the sauce and garnish with mushroom and green onions if desired.
16. Serving Suggestion: We like this on top of rice or pasta. We also really like adding some sauteed mushrooms on top.