Here are the Ten Best Reasons for barbecuing veggie burgers and veggie hot dogs at this year’s Independence Day gatherings, rather than ground-up animal body parts:
• Focusing on traffic and fireworks safety, rather than food safety.
• Giving your eyes a break from reading government food warning labels.
• Not sweating cancer-causing compounds if barbecue temperature is too high.
• Not sweating nasty E. coli and Salmonella bugs if temperature is too low.
• Not wondering about the real contents of that burger or hot dog you’re chewing.
• Giving your body a holiday from saturated fat, cholesterol, and hormones.
• Not sweating the animal cruelty and environmental devastation guilt trips.
• Not having to explain to your kids why we cherish Fido but eat Babe.
• Enjoying the exploration of veggie meal offerings in your supermarket.
• Celebrating a day of independence from the meat industry.
Sincerely, Hugh Reeser Harlingen