Apartment complex fire sends woman, two children to hospital for smoke inhalation

    McALLEN — A woman and two small children were taken to the hospital after an apartment complex on McAllen’s northwest side caught fire Friday afternoon.

    McALLEN — A woman and two small children were taken to the hospital after an apartment complex on McAllen’s northwest side caught fire Friday afternoon.

    Firefighters were called to the Saxon Village Apartments on North 23rd and Iris Streets about 2 p.m. and found the structure engulfed in flames, according to Jim Schultz, McAllen Fire Department assistant chief. The roof of the building’s top floor had collapsed.

    The woman and two children were sent to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. Other residents of the apartment complex were evacuated. No other injuries were immediately reported.

    Fire departments from Edinburg and Pharr assisted McAllen at the scene.

    The building appears to be uninhabitable and the Red Cross and other agencies have been called in to assist families that are displaced by the fire.