The San Benito school district’s Gifted and Talented (GT) Program is currently seeking nominations of students in Kindergarten through grade 11.
The following characteristics of a gifted and talented child or youth may help determine if the nomination of a particular child is appropriate:
• Problem Solving Ability – Quick to see solutions and possibilities;
• Curiosity – Exhibits unusual and sustained interest in the unknown or unfamiliar;
• Sensitivity – Feels deeply for others, often sensitive to criticism;
• Originality – Thinks of unique and outstanding ways to express ideas;
• Persistence – Shows strong determination, will, and stubbornness;
• Energy – Works or plays in areas of interest for long periods without tiring; and
• Enthusiasm – Enjoys a challenge and thrives on complexity.
The ongoing nomination period will run through Wednesday, November 1, 2017, at 4:00 PM. Though anyone may nominate a student for testing, the nominee’s parent or guardian must sign the nomination form.
Jose Fuentes, Coordinator of Advanced Academics, welcomes all students to a new and exciting school year and encourages the nomination of students for the GT Program.
“Please consider nominating your child or student and help prepare them with a GT educational foundation that will greatly enhance their education while also preparing them for the rigors of advanced academics along with college and career readiness,” Fuentes said.
The local GT Program provides appropriately challenging learning experiences that not only emphasize content from the four core academic areas – English language arts, math, science, and social studies – but also help develop talents in multiple areas and provide enrichment services for gifted students.
For additional information on the nomination process, please contact the potential nominee’s school counselor at their respective campus or Fuentes’ office at (956) 361-6528.