Conjunto Festival moving to Los Fresnos

LOS FRESNOS — The Narciso Martinez Cultural Art Center’s annual conjunto festival has a new location.

The Los Fresnos City Council this week voted to give its support and approve Community Development Council funds for the project, which is slated for Oct. 19-21 at Memorial Park.

City Manager Mark Milum said Los Fresnos will provide police security and public works services, including lights and generators.

In-kind city services will not exceed $3,000, and the Community Development Council will provide $5,000 for the festival, according to city documents.

The Conjunto Festival was held in San Benito, the birthplace of conjunto music and locale of the arts center, for 25 years.

Rogelio Nuñez, director of the Narciso Martinez Cultural Art Center, canceled last year’s festival in August when contentious negotiations over fees to the city broke down. He declined to comment but said he is preparing to widely circulate a news release about the new festival location early next week.

The Conjunto Festival draws about 3,000 attendees from around the Rio Grande Valley and beyond, according to documents from Nuñez.

The 2018 lineup includes 18 conjunto bands from around Texas.