BROWNSVILLE — After months of politicking, early voting begins tomorrow in the March 6 primary elections.
Several state and county offices are up for grabs, including U.S. senator, Texas governor, Texas attorney general, Cameron County judge and county commissioners, just to name a few.
Voters will be electing the candidate who they believe will best represent their party in the November General Election. There will be a Democratic Party ballot and a Republican Party ballot.
There are 27 early voting locations spread throughout the county, making it easy for voters to vote at any voting location rather than their designated voting precinct on the March 6 Election Day.
Cameron County has more than 200,000 registered voters, and officials hope all will participate in the electoral process. People planning to vote will need to provide a form of photo identification.
Here is a list of the acceptable forms of photo ID provided by the Texas Secretary of State’s Office:
– Texas Driver License issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety
– Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
– Texas Personal Identification Card issued by DPS
– Texas Handgun License issued by DPS
– United States Military Identification Card containing the person’s photograph
– United States Citizenship Certificate containing the person’s photograph
– United States Passport (book or card)
According to the secretary of state, if a voter does not have a photo identification, the following information may be provided:
n Copy or original of a government document that shows the voter’s name and an address, including the voter’s voter registration certificate;
– Copy of or original current utility bill;
– Copy of or original bank statement;
– Copy of or original government check;
– Copy of or original paycheck; or
– Copy of or original of (a) a certified domestic (from a U.S. state or territory) birth certificate or (b) a document confirming birth admissible in a court of law which establishes the voter’s identity (which may include a foreign birth document).
After presenting one of the forms of supporting ID listed above, the voter must execute a Reasonable Impediment Declaration.
For election information, including where to vote, visit the Cameron County elections website or call the elections office at (956) 544-0809.
Early voting will be held from Tuesday, Feb 20, through Friday, March 2.