The Fourth of July is just around the corner and as we get ready to celebrate our nation’s birthday with a fun family barbecue or a fireworks’ spectacular, we encourage you to take precautions.
Here are some tips from Valley Baptist Health System to help you ensure you have a safe Fourth of July holiday.
“Each year around this time, we see many ranges of injuries in our emergency departments that can be easily prevented if the proper safety precautions are taken into consideration,” said Dr. Kazim Hussain, Emergency Room Medical Director for Valley Baptist Medical Center-Brownsville.
“The best way we can prevent injuries, is to educate our community to ensure their celebrations remain in good fun.”
Safety tips to consider:
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks show organized by trained professionals. This not only promotes a safer environment, but allows you to enjoy the fireworks viewing.
If you are at a celebration where you will be setting off fireworks take these precautions:
• Always have a fire extinguisher or bucket of water nearby.
• Never point or throw any form of firework at another person, animal, building, brush or another flammable object.
• Keep fireworks away from children.
• Do not continue to try to relight a firework that does not light.
• Wear eye protection when lighting fireworks
Grilling is a great way to have a family celebration, but every year we see injuries due to gas and charcoal grills. Follow these safety tips when cooking on a grill:
• Never leave a lit grill unattended.
• Do not allow children to be unsupervised near a grill.
• Always use a grill outdoors.
• Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
• Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using grills.
• Use proper grilling tools to ensure food is safely placed on and off the grill.
By keeping these safety tips in mind, you can easily prevent many injuries from occurring. Always remember to dial 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency.
Valley Baptist Health System has two convenient Emergency Room locations:
Valley Baptist Medical Center – Brownsville
1040 West Jefferson Street
Valley Baptist Medical Center – Harlingen
2101 Pease Street
For more information on services available visit www.valleybaptist.net