Restaurant sign sparks fire

HARLINGEN — A fire broke out atop a restaurant yesterday, sending customers out of its doors.

A neon sign’s electrical short on the rooftop of Norteños Mexican Restaurant sparked the blaze at about 2 p.m., Fire Chief Roy Rubio said yesterday.

The fire led to an evacuation of the restaurant, Assistant Fire Chief Eddie Alvarez said.

Alvarez said there were no injuries.

Firefighters were on the scene within about a minute, he said.

“There was smoke and a small fire which was extinguished quickly,” Alvarez said. “It was more of smoldering fire more than anything.”

Alvarez said he did not have an estimate on the cost of damages.