Bloodhounds’ season ends in Corpus Christi

CORPUS CHRISTI — St. Joseph Academy’s soccer season came to an end with Saturday’s 2-1 TAPPS Division II state quarterfinal loss to San Antonio Christian.

The Bloodhounds finished with a 13-9-1 record following their defeat to the Lions at Corpus Christi John Paul II’s Bishop Carmody Athletic Field on an overcast but otherwise pleasant afternoon in the Coastal Bend.

The Lions improved to 14-10-2. They face San Antonio TMI Episcopal or Houston Lutheran South next week in the TAPPS Division II state semifinals.

SJA coach Edgar Tovar said he was sad to see the Bloodhounds’ season end, and he thanked his players for all their hard work and efforts in making it a success despite Saturday’s result. The Bloodhounds won two games in the playoff before Saturday’s setback.

“We battled throughout the game until the very end,” Tovar said. “This is what it is in soccer. The result went to the other side. It means we will continue working hard for the next season.

“This season was a beautiful experience,” he added. “We’re content that our players gave their best to do well. Our hope is that soccer will continue to grow and have greater success at St. Joseph.”

From the start of the match, the Bloodhounds and Lions battled back and forth on fairly even terms until San Antonio Christian caught SJA somewhat by surprise on a long-distance shot from approximately 45 yards away during the 32nd minute.

Sam Dieterle’s blast from midfield came in high and carried past the outstretched arms of the SJA goalkeeper before settling into the back of the net.

The Lions’ 1-0 halftime lead was increased to 2-0 during the 49th minute when the Bloodhounds were called for a pushing foul in the goalmouth as the players lined up and jostled between each other on a Lions corner kick taken from the right side.

Noah Platzer converted the ensuing PK, giving the Lions a two-goal advantage with 31 minutes to play.

The Bloodhounds weren’t able to generate very much on the offensive end until six minutes remained. A long pass from the left side was headed in by SJA’s Antonio Salum to cut the lead to 2-1.

That’s the way the contest ended.

“It was a well-played match with both teams playing well,” San Antonio Christian coach Robin Rapp said. “It was one of those games that could have gone either way. St. Joe had a great season, and our players have had one, too.

“It was just one of those deals where both teams were fighting hard to make it to the final four,” Rapps added. “We were just fortunate enough to balance out the day (and win). Who knows? Tomorrow it might have been a different outcome with St. Joe winning. They played well.”