HARLINGEN — From water coloring to drawings and even digital illustrations, students throughout the Valley design festive cards year after year in hopes of having their work showcased to hundreds of people.
The Region One Education Service Center recently launched its 2019 Holiday Card Art Contest, which seeks entries from students that reflect the holiday season in South Texas.
According to Region One ESC representatives, artwork from winners in each elementary, middle and high school categories will be selected to become the cover art for holiday cards that will be sent across the state.
“By depicting the holiday season in the South Texas area, we share with our colleagues the uniqueness of the region and have the opportunity to showcase the outstanding student talent right here in our schools,” Region One ESC Executive Director Dr. Cornelio Gonzalez said in a press release.
All students in Region One area schools are able to enter the contest.
The organization serves 38 school districts and 10 charter school systems in eight counties — Cameron, Hidalgo, Willacy, Starr, Zapata, Webb, Jim Hogg and Brooks.
Submitted artwork should be on 8.5 by 11 inch sized paper.
Acceptable art mediums include — watercolor, tempera, poster, acrylic, pencil, charcoal, colored chalk, pastels, oil pastels, colored pencil, marker, crayon or original digital illustration.
Students can only submit one entry to Region One ESC/Office of Communications and Creative Services, 1900 West Schunior, Edinburg, Texas 78541.
Entries will not be returned unless requested in writing.
Each entry must be labeled on the back of the drawing with the student’s name, age, school, school district, telephone number, grade level and the name of their teacher.
Submissions must be postmarked by Nov. 21.
Prizes will be awarded to the top entry in the elementary, middle and secondary divisions.
“We really encourage our students to participate,” Region One ESC Office of Communications & Creative Services Coordinator Annette S. Garcia said. “The only downside to this card contest is when we have to select the winners because we have so many talented kids out there so to select those winners is really a trial in itself.”
According to Garcia, Region One ESC distributes about 600 cards every year to places such as its sister regional education service centers and the U.S. Department of Education.
“We have a committee here at the ESC that reviews the cards and it’s a very difficult decision for them because we have so many talented kids enter, so we anticipate some really good artwork this year,” Garcia said. “We look forward to receiving the entries and we’re really excited about sharing it with the rest of the state.”
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
• The Region One Education Service Center launched its 2019 Holiday Card Contest for students in public schools in Cameron, Hidalgo, Willacy, Starr, Zapata, Webb, Jim Hogg and Brooks Counties.
• Entries should reflect the holiday season in South Texas.
• Submitted artwork should be on an 8.5 by 11 inch sized paper.
• Each entry must be labeled on the back with student’s name, age, school, school district, telephone number, grade level and the name of their teacher.
• Art mediums accepted include — paint, any drawing materials such as pencil or colored chalk or original digital illustration.
• Prizes will be awarded to top entries in the elementary, middle and secondary divisions.
• Submit entries to Region One ESC/Office of Creative Services, 1900 West Schunior, Edinburg, Texas, 78541
• Mailed entries must be postmarked by November 21