Mark Reagan

351 POSTS 0 COMMENTS
Mark Reagan is a reporter for The Monitor. He can be reached at mreagan@themonitor.com or at (956) 683-4437.

State seeks gag order in 2-year-old murder case

The state of Texas is asking state District Judge Bobby Flores to issue a gag order in the cases of two men charged in the Dec. 15, 2017, shooting of a 20-year-old man. Prosecutors filed the motion Tuesday, asking Flores to bar defense attorneys from continuing to grant interviews, comment or make statements to the media or to make any statements about the case on the internet or social media until the case concludes. Read the full story at themonitor.com.

McAllen police chief announces a decade of decrease in crime

Police Chief Victor Rodriguez stood inside the old McAllen Police Department on Pecan Boulevard Friday morning with a message for the community. And he was beaming with pride in his officers, in McAllen residents and in the city’s leadership as he delivered that message. “At the end of 2019, the crime data that we’re reporting to the State of Texas and the FBI that is the lowest crime data, the lowest instances of crime in McAllen, in the last 35 years,” Rodriguez said. The chief announced the findings of the department’s annual crime report, which tracks 10 types of crime. Read the full story at themonitor.com.

Capital murder suspect on bond re-arrested at scene of stabbing

EDINBURG — A woman accused of capital murder is back in jail after McAllen police found her at the scene of a New Year’s...

DA’s office to try Alamo man in 2017 murder case

The Hidalgo County District Attorney’s Office announced Thursday that it’s ready to try a 20-year-old Alamo resident accused of gunning down a 20-year-old man more than two years ago during an argument over Xanax. While the state says it’s ready for trial on Jan. 27, Peter Isiah Uvalle’s defense attorney Savannah Angel Gonzalez told state District Judge Bobby Flores that she needs more time to review information on a phone the Secret Service in San Antonio is trying to un-encrypt. Read the full story at themonitor.com.

Convict in ‘Edinburg Massacre’ successfully has state appeal re-opened

A 40-year-old San Juan man who has spent 15 years on death row for his role in one of the Rio Grande Valley’s most...

Convict in ‘Edinburg Massacre’ successfully has state appeal re-opened

A 40-year-old San Juan man who has spent 15 years on death row for his role in one of the Rio Grande Valley’s most heinous crimes is coming back to Hidalgo County. A federal magistrate judge ruled Monday that Rodolfo Alvarez Medrano’s capital murder case must be re-opened in state court so that the man can challenge the state’s “gang expert,” who has since been stripped of his law enforcement license after being convicted of abuse of official capacity and being arrested for having oral sex with a woman in custody for robbery. Medrano was sentenced to death in 2005 for his role in the “Edinburg Massacre” where multiple men in 2003 stormed two rural homes and shot six men to death while attempting to steal money and drugs. Read the full story at themonitor.com.

Man who escaped from Progreso jail nearing plea deal

EDINBURG — A 26-year-old Progreso man accused of sexually assaulting a woman and then escaping that city’s jail, nearly took a plea deal Monday...

Man who escaped from Progreso jail nearing plea deal

A 26-year-old Progreso man accused of sexually assaulting a woman and then escaping that city’s jail, nearly took a plea deal Monday that would have sent him to prison for six years. Adrian Edwardo Garcia had been scheduled to take a plea to two counts of sexual assault and a count of escape from custody, but his attorney Jose Martinez instead told state District Judge Rose Guerra Reyna that Garcia’s DNA needed to be tested before he could accept a plea. That ran counter to Garcia’s hearing last Friday, where the parties agreed to the plea without DNA testing. Read the full story at themonitor.com

Docs: San Juan man stabbed friend’s husband 4 times

Edinburg police investigators believe a 31-year-old man accused of a stabbing death — the county’s first murder of 2020 — had previously threatened his...

Docs: San Juan man stabbed friend’s husband 4 times

Edinburg police investigators believe a 31-year-old man accused of a stabbing death — the county’s first murder of 2020 — had previously threatened his victim. A probable cause affidavit for the arrest of Ramiro Escobar reveals the man was friends with Ramirez’s common-law wife and had made previous threats to harm the man. Escobar, a San Juan resident who is charged with murder, remains jailed on a $1 million bond. Read the full story at themonitor.com